Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

567. Re: read the whole thing and understand Sep 14, 2001, 23:25 anon@24.228

The point is being missed already (not unexpected, and people, particularly those who are not Americans, will continue to miss it). Here's my thinking and why I posted it:

I admit the words are slightly archaic, particularly the last section (although I am a Christian I am not a zealot). Regardless, we're facing the same issues we were two hundred+ years ago as a new nation. Someone is trying to take away our freedom.

We're not out to force anyone to do anything but respect and acknowledge the freedom of others on this earth. Brush up on your Islamic fundamentalist knowledge. They are a throwback to the middle ages or worse. They want to take away freedom from a significant portion of the world's population based on a twisted derivate of the Islamic faith, and they have clearly demonstrated that they will use any means possible to attain this goal.

By contrast, although our efforts have been misguided in the past, the basic goal of allowing people to live in freedom is not about conquering anything, except perhaps repression and tyranny.

We also must be on guard against giving up our own freedom, particularly in the U.S., to those who govern us (i.e., ourselves). I'm not sure if the animals who caused the destruction and boundless grief on Tuesday thought it through this far (I doubt it), but we should give equal importance and forethought to the need to defend ourselves against ourselves. We need to protect against giving up the fundamental values of openness and individual sovereignty that we have consciously and unconsciously struggled for so long to acheive in this country. This covers everything the anti-Islamic sentiment already manifesting itself among the dregs of the melting pot to the healthy mistrust we must maintain against unreasonable search and seizure.

We need to walk a very high, tenuous tightrope between bringing a definitive end (i.e., total eradication) to forces of actual -- not conceptual -- evil in this world, and preserving our own fundamental freedoms. This crossing is where we will most need God's help.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo