Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

55. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 16:06 Krovven

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:24:
Krovven wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 15:18:
I find it amusing that some people still can't see the benefits of it being online only outside of it being just for DRM.

I don't really see any left at this point. The protection against hackers and dupers is dubious at best, especially at this point in the game. People tried to make some arguments about the dynamic joining but they could have easily separated game modes with a toggle to appease people. The existence of the console versions proves that and the offline functionality works very well, I've used it extensively. They're not going to patch it out now because they don't want people running private servers competing with them and so on, that's fine and the ship sailed long ago anyway. If I want offline I'll just buy a console version.

Nobody ever claimed it wasn't DRM, they just pointed out the other benefits that went along with it. PoE is online only...yet nobody ever bitches about that. Being free to play isn't a valid argument either.

I'm not digging up ancient threads to have the same tired debates again but yes, several people did claim it wasn't for DRM. I have seen people here bitch about it with regards to POE as well and POE isn't a very popular game here judging by the lack of responses in its threads so I'm not sure its really conclusive either way. Personally it didn't bug me much in Diablo 3 but the handwaving about design choices when everyone knew it was DRM was pretty silly of Blizzard.

I'm not sure what popularity of a game has to do with it being online only or not. The fact that Diablo (like WoW) is so popular is what attracts people to abuse the systems for their own gain. Other games don't have these problems on the same scale because they don't have millions of people around the world to benefit from. The rest of your statements are skirting any actual facts. What duping and hacking in D3? It's certainly not as widespread as it was in D2 and has been very contained in D3. There was a very brief problem with some dupe thing in the AH that was quickly closed and the people that exploited it were banned and the gold removed. There is botting, which can exist in every game due to the way it works and there was some AH thing that allowed people to break auctions that were posted at their base value. Other than that, I'm not aware of any cheating going on. Both of these problems are being dealt with the removal of the AH and gear being BoA.

If the assholes of the world weren't always just out to exploit things companies like Blizzard wouldn't have to constantly be making design choices based solely around trying to prevent the exploits. It's a never ending task for them. The inclusion of the AH was an attempt at dealing with these problems from D2. It didn't work out very well and they have removed it. Being online only just allows them to have a more controlled environment. It's a coop game first and foremost and was designed as such. Claiming online only is purely about DRM is about as obtuse as claiming that PoE isn't popular, when it has seen it's own success, just on a smaller scale to that of Diablo. But reality is, no other ARPG has seen anywhere near the success Diablo franchise has.

Just to add...while there is offline in the console versions of Diablo 3, there is also item stat hacking, which is not present in the online PC game.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2014, 16:13.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo