Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 2, 2014, 09:44 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 21:47:
Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 19:13:
4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)?

Dude. That's why I said "in a few years" . I'm hoping not too long though. I mean with the fast growing popularity of 4K I'd imagine that nVidia and AMD will hopefully try extra hard to crank out VGA cards capable of producing playable FPS at 4K resolution. They've been slacking off long enough.

Also, if you think that I am a little extreme with my 4K requirement then think again and read this article at Ars Technica where the OR head honcho says that in an ideal world he'd like 8K+ *per eye*(!) for a pixel-free experience.

I took "in a few years" to be a short enough time period that my system would still be relevant as a perfectly usable gaming rig, i.e. 2 or 3 years. In 5 to 10 years we should see big improvements so I agree with you there. They need to release a good, solid product at a price that allows people like me to splash out (i.e. 200-300). I would guess that 1080p is the best option for them to actually ship a product - they mustn't lose sight of that! I can easily understand why some people would be looking to sit this version out especially as, inevitably, the resolution won't be the only problem.

I think desktop monitors are on the verge of judged on PPI a lot more than they have been. With higher resolution TVs being common place and smartphones giving the general public a better understanding of the relevance of screen density. Apple have done a lot in this regard so *gritted teeth* credit to them for pushing "Retina". This will create a market for more GPU power, we'll get there.

I may be in the market for a monitor soon. I'd like a 30" 4K OLED monitor but by the looks of things that will be my subsequent primary monitor purchase in quite a few years. I'm looking at 27" 1440p monitors with full LED back-lighting but it's hard to determine how good their LED back-lights are. The cheap LED TV in my bedroom only has LEDs around the edge and has horribly uneven blacks, I want one with a full grid behind the pixel layer.

I don't think there's anything much in that article that we didn't know. I've heard that 10K would be needed but might have referred to a slightly wider field of view, or just have been an approximation. I don't see this as really relevant. If I didn't want anything to do with a technology until it's so refined that my own senses are the limiting factor, there'd be nothing on Bluesnews that would interest me. The resolution is a concern and will for the foreseeable future be something I will want to improve but, for me, 1080p will be worth buying.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 10:28.

- Quboid

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo