Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 2, 2014, 01:00 Scottish Martial Arts

Axis wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 23:58:
What I cannot stand is Obama and his usual lip service, it makes us look more weak and insignificant than had he said nothing at all - we've lost all credibility because every "red line" Obama puts out there is crossed and laughed at.

You are aware that foreign leaders don't get their intelligence reports on Obama from Fox News, correct? I'm only marginally supportive of Obama at best, i.e. I think he has admirable qualities but has been mostly ineffective as a president, so don't get the impression that I think his record is of unbridled strength. But that said, "strength", and the perception of it, is more than a willingness to launch misguided invasions which bog down the better part of US military strength for a decade and empower regional adversaries. Certainly, if I were a foreign adversary, I would note Obama's caution to a fault, his tendency towards paralysis by analysis, and his domestic political weakness. I would note his signaling miscalculations as the Syrian Civil War escalated, i.e. having Assad call his bluff over the chemical weapons "red line", but conversely I would recognize the wisdom of not compounding that called bluff by intervening militarily in Syria in an attempt to save face, when such intervention is highly unlikely to serve US interests. Furthermore, I would note his ready willingness to violate the sovereign territory of allied states to launch cross-border special forces and drone raids to assassinate perceived threats to US national security. I would also note his willingness to project power when there is good reason to believe it can depose an adversary, i.e. Libya. In short, my assessment would be "cautious, reluctant to intervene, but if he believes US military intervention is likely to serve US interests, rather than a mere desire to appear tough, then he is likely to use it."

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo