Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2014, 23:58 Axis

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 20:47:
Axis wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 14:06:
Hey Franken, how about you worry about the US and Britain's promise to Ukraine? That's a hell of a serious issue that NO ONE is reporting here in the US...

Obama will as usual do nothing... even when there's an 'international law' that Clinton signed...

Not that I want him to, but he's such a terrible representative of our country it's sickening. But ya, he'll just keep being "deeply concerned" or "strongly discouraged" or some other useless statement he makes as he sits back and tries to forget he's in shoes way to big for his tiny feet.

Axis, you claim to have been in the military, so clearly you must know something about military affairs. Tell me this: what military presence do we have in Ukraine? What naval presence do we have in the Black Sea? How far away is the nearest US military installation of any size? How far away is the nearest US military installation of a size sufficient to support war in Ukraine?

The answers, respectively, are none, none, about 350 miles away in Bulgaria, and about 800 miles away in Germany. Think about this for a moment: we don't have any airbases close enough to Ukraine to provide a credible deterrent from the air. We could make a handful of aerial tanker supported air strikes as a show of moral support but that's about it. Likewise, the experience of the Gulf and Iraq War demonstrate that it takes months to build up a credible land based force on foreign shores, so the Army is out as an immediate deterrent. What about the Navy? Can't we just move a few battle groups into the Black Sea? IF we get permission from the Turks to cross the Bosporus, which is no sure thing, we could conceivably do so, BUT, the Russians already have a fleet, complete with ports to repair and resupply at, in the Black Sea. We would have to fight through a blockade of the straights to move a fleet into the Black Sea, and that fleet would have to deal with both the remnants of the Russian Black Sea fleet, and the Russian Air Force which has bases throughout the region.

So what does this mean? It means that military intervention on the part of the US/EU in the Ukraine to maintain its territorial integrity would necessitate a full-scale, medium-intensity war on land, on the sea, and in the air. Is keeping ethnically Russian, and Russian speaking Crimea a part of the Ukraine worth such a war to you? Or are you just interested in blustering and finding new ways to hate Obama?

Long winded cutesy monolog directed at the wrong person. I never wrote the treaty - Clinton and company, so send them your concerns.

What I cannot stand is Obama and his usual lip service, it makes us look more weak and insignificant than had he said nothing at all - we've lost all credibility because every "red line" Obama puts out there is crossed and laughed at.

Yours truly,

Axis

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo