Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 19:13 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:51:
In a few years I want to try the Rift as well as soon as there are 4K versions (i.e. 1080p *per eye* instead of 1080p divided by two like the first retail kit) but until then I'm finding it easy as pie to wait since the experience is just going to suck with the lesser initial models.

4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)? The reports I've heard are that you need to be hitting 90 FPS consistently. I typically aim to average 80 or 90 FPS but that's with dips to 50 - 60 quite frequently, at just over 1080p. I will have to turn down quite a few settings to use the Rift at 1080p, on a decent system (Intel i7 3.5Ghz, 2x Nvidia GeForce 660). Given the low resolution (and despite my excitement for the Rift, this is a concern to me), I'll also want good anti-aliasing and texture filtering. For 1080p at >90FPS, I'm not going to have a lot of power left for any other features.

I think the wisest thing for them is to release a 1080p version as soon as they reasonably can, at a price which makes it affordable to a large enough audience for word of mouth to spread outside the geek world. Even if 1440p is available, it's probably not worth going for in the near future.

If/when the Rift is a success, then they should add to it. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and will find plenty of issues when it's released so as well as tightening up other features, they will surely boost the resolution.

A dev kit is a tempting but I'm not going to go for it. Unless initial reports are disastrous I will buy the first commercial version and probably future ones. I can definitely understand waiting and I fully expect the Rift 1 will have some problems and it's a strong possibility that it won't be usable as more than a novelty. But what a novelty!

- Quboid

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo