Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

26. Re: Respawn Attacks Titanfall Bribery Claims Feb 20, 2014, 12:43 Seventyfive

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 12:29:
Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2014, 11:56:
It's very possible that the game simply IS this good. I haven't played it, so I can't judge it. The videos make it look pretty decent, if also fairly standard pew pew pew hitscan multiplayer fare.

It's really just average to good IMO, some people here are playing it up way too much. I logged 20ish hours with the beta and thought the movement and general flow of the game is excellent but the hitscan weaponry is all samey, the AI grunts are a waste of space and I thought the Titans themselves were extremely boring to use.

I only saw the 2 beta levels so maybe there are better maps that would bring it up but it would be a low 80s game for me at best. Graphically its quite dated too and there are a noticeable lack of physics, deformation and other modern design aspects. Two titans battling might as well be a transformers cartoon knockoff, there is no external feedback or environmental impact. Someone on another forum likened it to characters fighting with nerf guns and that is pretty apt IMO. The game is at its strongest when you're just cruising around with the well implemented parkour elements and fighting actual people, not AI grunts or titans. Also using "AI" to describe what they have in that game is too generous, my coffeemaker has stronger AI. They are literally the dumbest bots I have ever seen in any game and they don't even work if you try to think of them as MOBA style fodder.

So yeah it's not a bad game at all and a decent exclusive for Microsoft to hang its hat on but it's not the OMG 95+ Metacritic circlejerk that you know is coming.

Not sure how well you were scoring on the leaderboard per game but if you think the grunts are useless and the titans boring, I'm guessing not very high. The bots are supposed to be dumb because you harvest them to get titans. I guess the titan could be boring if you don't know how to pilot one well or if you just let it run around in auto mode. Also, if you logged 20 hours in 4 days of beta, that's 5 hours a day which is basically a part time job. Not sure how you deal with the cognitive dissonance of saying "I played this game like my job but it was only ok".

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo