Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 4, 2014, 14:15 jdreyer

Okay, so I went and looked up Eldred vs. Ashcroft case which challenged the constitutionality of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, which set the copyright extension to death of author + 70 years (a ridiculous amount of time). Basically, the SCOTUS decided that "limited Times" means "not infinite" thus any number less than infinity will do. 200 years? 1000 years? No problem!

The founding fathers were suspicious of monopoly. They by "limited Times" I feel pretty certain they didn't mean "not infinite" but rather, "a short period of time." The first part of the copyright clause is "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." Yes, part of this is to allow exclusivity to financially motivate people. But the other part of that is to allow arts and inventions into the public domain so they can be used freely for improvement and creation. In no way is life + 70 years in support of promoting progress.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo