Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 23:55 dj LiTh

mag wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 22:14:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 18:55:
Prez wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 17:12:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 15:53:

Drug od at 46? Hows that legal argument now?

So if someone commits suicide with a gun should those be illegal too? I am extremely libertarian when it comes to individual rights, so yes, I absolutely think drugs should be legal.

It's funny you should mention that. The majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Countries with much stricter gun laws (i.e. Japan, UK, Australia) have not only lower gun deaths, but also lower suicide rates. Guns just make it way to easy with no chance of reversal, unlike other methods of suicides.

Prohibition of drugs, on the other hand simply hasn't worked over the past 40 years, despite billions of dollars and tens of thousands of law enforcement personnel applied.

I'm for what is proven to work. Decriminalization of drugs appears to work, at least it has in Portugal and in other "experiments." It's a model to emulate. As for guns, I'm under no illusions that we'll get gun ownership rates as low as countries like Japan, nor will we make gun ownership laws as strict as that either. But unlike drugs, restricting guns has worked in other countries to reduce both homicides and suicides.

I don't think overall suicide rates are correlated very strongly with gun laws.

Wikipedia

Japan has a far greater suicide rate, the UK's is only slightly lower than the US's, Canada (with more permissive gun laws) has a lower rate than the UK...

Interesting thing to note about Japans high suicide rate is that apparently its very wide spread for their police force to site suicide in murder cases that remain unsolved so as to save face.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo