Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

57. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 18:38 PHJF

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 15:27:
PHJF wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 20:32:
Uh, prohibition era?

Being demonized and being illegal aren't the same thing. See weed.

What? Dude, you are really not familiar with prohibition era history, are you? Alcohol was most certainly demonized. That's how they got the government to amend the constitution. They pretty much blamed everything wrong with the country at the time on alcohol. Google some prohibition era posters.

There were myriad reasons for the Volstead Act getting passed, but the zealots proclaiming alcohol to be the source of all society's ills were the (vocal) minority. It never had truly popular support.

When the Eighteenth Amendment was passed I earnestly hoped- with a host of advocates of temperance-that it would be generally supported by public opinion and thus the day be hastened when the value to society of men with minds and bodies free from the undermining effects of alcohol would be generally realized. That this has not been the result, but rather that drinking has generally increased; that the speakeasy has replaced the saloon, not only unit for unit, but probably two-fold if not three-fold; that a vast array of lawbreakers has been recruited and financed on a colossal scale; that many of our best citizens, piqued at what they regarded as an infringement of their private rights, have openly and unabashedly disregarded the Eighteenth Amendment; that as an inevitable result respect for all law has been greatly lessened; that crime has increased to an unprecedented degree-I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe.

John D. Rockefeller

Steam + PSN: PHJF

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo