Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2014, 18:20 jdreyer

I don't mean that we "legalize" drugs in the sense that we can go down to 7-11 and buy cocaine laced M & Ms, for example. Decriminalization is the word I should be using. So they're not for sale generally, but nobody gets arrested for possession. The next step is to make the government the supplier: you get it from a doctor as a prescription. You must attend a treatment program, but that's a small price to pay to get your fix at $10 a month or whatever. Lots of people naturally lose their addiction after a few years, and the treatment accelerates that.

And for those people barely hanging on, if they wanted drugs, they'd be using them already. Drugs are widely available all over this country, despite our current system. Is there potential for abuse with this new system? For sure. Will it have a greater effect than all the crime that goes away when you decriminalize drugs and destroy the market via gov't subsidization? It seems extremely unlikely.

Bats, how many calls do you get a month where drugs are a contributing factor? Thefts, prostitution, robberies, assaults, etc. How many of those would never have happened if not for the drugs? I'm not saying that the way you think is wrong, but think about the possibilities. Watch what Capt Christ had to say.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo