Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

39. Re: Ahh... Jun 4, 2003, 09:43 Xombie

Of course, they could forsee the possibility of giving rights to everyone. They aren't retarded. For example, they knew giving women the right to vote would take power away from men. Everytime Jefferson punished a slave he owned, a small part of him knew it was wrong. They aren't amoral either. And if his slave could vote. He'd vote Jefferson right out of power.
Though this has no real bearing on the subject at hand, I'd like to note that Jefferson was in fact uncommonly humane to his slaves. Archaeologists have studied Jefferson's plantation and found that they had their own small houses and material posessions, such as some fine china. Their lives were roughly on the same level as that of a lower-class citizen.
Jefferson really only kept slaves because he knew he had to in order to run his plantation and remain rich, not because he was a racist. I'm of course not trying to justify his keeping of slaves in any way, I'm just clearing up that he wasn't some horribly sadistic person that saw black people as being nothing above dogs, like many plantation owners were.

I think what many people are forgetting is that the "founding fathers" were upper-class citizens. As one of my college professors put it, when we broke off from England, we simply "replaced one group of rich guys with another group of rich guys". Strangely enough, this has been the way our government has always gone. The upper class are the only people represented in highest branches of government.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo