Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 12, 2014, 19:21 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 14:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 12, 2014, 13:52:
2014 is going to be the year that "early access" either proves itself, or crashes and burns like an airship called Titanic Hindenberg.

There is a lot of games right now that people are waiting on, and most of them got delayed (ha) to this year. Personally I'm done buying these until a few of the ones I did buy get finished up.

I nearly bought DayZ until I read that they think they'll be able to call it beta a year from now. Great for the ppl that don't mind, but count me out.

Yea, I think I am done with early access. Once I play the hell out of it - I probably won't come back when the game is "finished". I don't see early access being good for gaming.

I think it depends on the game. I've only bought two early access games on Steam, one of which is Kerbal Space Program. Although it's still in early alpha, it's more stable and complete than many "finished" games. It's also fun as hell, and I can't stop playing it. Even if I do eventually burn out before release, I've already gotten more than my moneys worth out of it. I'm currently at 180+ hours and I haven't even traveled to any other planets yet, so there's still plenty to do.

Minecraft, though it wasn't the first "early access" game, it's probably the most successful, and I guess everyone's trying to get in on that. I bought Minecraft while it was in beta and played the hell out of it during beta and for quite a while after release. I originally played it with a couple of friends at first, but continued to play it solo after our schedules changed and we could never get coordinated to play together. I kind of burned out on it a few releases ago though. It seems that development has accelerated on it since it's "official" release. Each major release, which seem to happen about every 3 months, add new features to the world, which you can only get access to by starting a new game, or traveling far enough in an existing game where new terrain gets generated. I mainly got tired or having to start over to get access to the new stuff.

MeanJim on Steam

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo