Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

11. Re: bits Jan 10, 2014, 01:26 mag

harlock wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 23:29:
mag wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 22:46:
and it could completely come to pass that this is completely ignored by developers since it doesn't work for Intel or nvidia.

To reach beyond mere niche adoption, it is essential to provide a deployment path beyond the realm of any single hardware vendor. The ultimate goal for software developers is “write once, run everywhere” which requires a unified install-base across all platforms and devices. This is the HSA vision. Thus, the HSA Foundation (HSAF) was formed as an open industry standards body to unify the computing industry around a common approach.The founding members of HSA are: AMD, ARM, Imagination Technologies, MediaTek, Texas Instruments, Samsung Electronics and Qualcomm

that doesnt sound "completely ignored" to me... and im not sure where you get the idea it wont work with intel - read the link if you really want to know more

I like AMD. I want this to succeed. I haven't purchased a desktop Intel processor since... the p166MMX. I'm just being realistic. It is an enormous hurdle to make this completely programmer-agnostic. You have to write a compiler that can intelligently offload massively-parallelizable calculations to the GPU, and that is ridiculously hard, or else it'd have been done already. As is, they're presenting it as 'extensions' to C++, and it is still going to require programmers to intentionally write things in a way that will be able to take advantage of it.

If 90% of the target market (e.g. desktop/laptop/actual computers running Windows, MacOS, or Linux) is Intel, you're probably not going to completely change the way you code to make stuff faster on AMD.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo