Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

56. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 8, 2014, 17:20 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 13:08:
You don't take one look at that thing and recognize the problem with the face buttons? You need to take your hands off not just one side like with a traditional analog setup but both sides to potentially hit multiple face buttons. There is no resistance for movement like a traditional analog input on the left, that is going to be something many people hate. I think a smarter approach here would have been an analog stick on the left for movement and a pad on the right for aiming. The face button placement really needs to move somewhere else too.

I do a lot of gaming and I will definitely try it before passing judgment but I can see problem areas already.

My understanding of those face buttons is they are not intended to be the A/B/X/Y or O/X/^/[]/ buttons on the 360/PS controllers. Those buttons are for the lesser used functions. The buttons on the top, back and buttons functions of the pads themselves provide those functions, allowing you to keep your thumbs on the pads moreso than the current analog sticks of gamepads. See the Portal 2 control setup.
There is absolutely a learning curve, but I can see myself using the Steam controller moreso to play turn based and other slower paced games (Civ5, Shadowrun) from the couch without having to awkwardly use a mouse and keyboard.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo