Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

51. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 10:46 Vio

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 08:16:
I get what you are talking about, but you are talking about an optimal frame rate. Very few games today run at these rates on our 'normal' 2d monitors. Do the games really have to run at 60 FPS per eye for the Virtual Reality 'trick' to kick in? As far as I know games on a standard screen play and look okay from 25 frames and upwards.

Basically you need to render two images instead of one per pass, so at the worst we will need double the graphics power for the same resolution that we used to on our normal monitors.

Ive got a 760 GTX Im pretty happy with right now, another one in SLI mode might do the trick when the Oculus shows its ugly face. If it isnt, Im going to be happy to upgrade to whatever will be required. There is no reason to think that Nvidia and AMD wont be up to the challenge presented by doubling the power requirement.

Yea 30fps vsync with motion blur is generally enough on a standard 2d monitor, if you take away the motion blur you would need 60fps to make it look decent.

The thing about the rift that makes it awesome is the fabled 'you are there' feeling you get when you put it on, apparently when the FPS drops below 60 the realism effect is lost. I assume this has something to do with the latency involved between movement and transition on the screen; i.e. 60fps is latency translation of input and what you see of 16.6ms (they are aiming for 15ms on the rift hardware in terms of input/panel ability).

Computationally graphics wise the rift is a bit of a pain because it in essence is going to need to try render two points of view at 1280x1440 each and combine the image(single screen with two images would be 2560x1440 which will be the sweet spot for their display panel). I'll probably need to upgrade from the two 560's I have if I'm going to be playing anything modern graphics wise on the rift.

Oh well, it is definitely a exciting piece of hardware; a real game changer in the world of games

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo