Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

51. Re: Star Citizen Funding Passes $36M Jan 8, 2014, 05:48 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:07:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:16:
Also, Josh posted another fantastic Limit Theory monthly update the other day. It's looking great. He's shooting for a mid 2014 release, but I think that he's got at least another year of work, considering all that needs to be done with ship and station design, AI, mission design, interface design, etc.
harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
also im not 100% sold on the procedural sim only method.. i think its possible to do procedural storylines and someone needs to get cracking on it - especially storylines that dont require the player but can involve them in any capacity

I love this guy's videos and have high hopes for LT. But his hard-line 100% procedural approach is doomed to failure when it comes to these elements. Attempts to automate the creative processes of humans inevitably end in failure. Hence the need for writers, artists, musicians, programmers, etc. Using procedural for these things is doomed to produce a soulless, unfulfilling end result. Remember Origin's motto? The thing that made them great? "We Create Worlds", not "We Create Systems That Create Worlds". Procedural can go a long way but using it for everything is folly.

I hope I'm mistaken and he actually has a more hybrid approach in mind, but so far all I've heard him say is along the lines of "100% procedural everything!"
Yeah, this is why I think he won't really be finished until 2015. To make procedural missions that are even mildly interesting, he's gonig to need A LOT of time.

Tom wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:07:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:10:
All my life, all I've EVER wanted to is be a starship engine mechanic. We've never had that before, and SC let's us be what we want to be. THAT'S why I funded at the $500 level.

*backs away slowly* I'm still on the fence as to whether you were joking/trolling or serious.

Yeah, I was kidding. I didn't mean for Suppa to take me so seriously. Deadpan sarcasm is hard to do text-only. Sorry Suppa! I don't really want to be an engine mechanic fixing engines using a match-three minigame. Honest!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo