Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Alien: Isolation Announced Jan 7, 2014, 16:26 Jerykk

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:20:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:09:
People were literally saying the exact same thing to A:CM previews. Just replace Alien with Aliens.

Except there have been countless shooters based on Aliens (space marines mowing down hordes of Xenomorphs). There's never been a survival horror game based on the original film.

And for good reason. It's fun in small bursts like in the first few hours of AvP1 and especially AvP2. But in order for it to work everything has to be scripted.
Gearbox did promise early on A:CM would be a tactical survival horror type game. What did we get? Don't get too excited yet.

Anyway, it's impossible for this game to be scary after how over-used the monster has become. Alien was scary because it was rarely seen and there was nothing else like it at the time. After the pathetic Alien Resurrection, AvP, and AvP:R movies followed by the weak AvP3 and disastrous A:CM is there a monster in any media more run into the ground?

They are decades too late for a game like this. And remember it's still Sega of AvP3 and A:CM and Creative Assembly of Rome 2 behind it.

I'd actually argue that an unscripted survival horror game would be much scarier than a scripted one. Heavily scripted horror games are predictable and often become formulaic. They feel like haunted houses rather than horrific survival experiences. As for how scary a Xenomorph actually is, I don't think it really matters. If it can easily kill you and you can't kill it, that's enough to instill fear in the player. It could be Barney and it still wouldn't matter.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo