Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

34. Re: Fallout 3 Removes GFWL? Jan 7, 2014, 16:24 peteham

Beamer wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:59:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 10:57:
Obligatory: I liked Fallout 3 better But yeah, when it comes down to it Bethesda is one of the few companies making games I actually enjoyed playing. Lots of time spent in Fallout 3 and NV with tons of mods. Though I gotta say.. the next game by Beth better be 64bit trough and through and not use Gamebryo

I don't really care what they use but they need to hire better animators and someone needs to revisit the combat engine. Loved Skyrim but those aspects are really showing their age.

You know, when everyone complained about the combat in Skyrim, I kind of shrugged, because it felt good to me in Oblivion.

When I finally got Skyrim I had to agree - it felt dated. In the time between Oblivion and Skyrim something changed.

I'd love to see them fix it. I don't care as much about the animation (though there's absolutely room for improvement), but combat needs an overhaul. I can't think of any obvious changes, but I'm guessing they'll find plenty.
I'd really love to do a Skyrim replay with the legendary edition at some point. The reason I haven't gotten around to it yet is because I doubt I'd be able to enjoy even two hours of the combat after putting 80-100 hours into the game already. And for the last 30 of those, downing more Draugr and whatnot was almost enough to make me puke

I loved the world of Skyrim, but while the combat was perfectly fine early on, as the game goes on, it becomes apparent that the mechanics are just too simple/shallow for a game that size. You do exactly the same things for far too long, with no variety in moves/tactics over the course of the game what so ever. This is made worse through the leveling system (like in Oblivion), which makes things ever more bullet-spongy. Some 10-20 hours in, you're basically chipping away at walking-sometimes-talking health bars, as your power-curve goes completely flat. Your moves don't feel powerful, there's no real need to block anymore, and it all becomes rather boring.

I'd like to see them emulate Dark Souls for future games. Obligatory tangent here: Seriously you guys, if you haven't yet, play Dark Souls! Most enjoyable gaming experience for me in years. Actual *gameplay* as opposed to most "AAA" interactive stories these days, amazing exploration and atmosphere, and great bossfights to boot. And I usually *hate* bossfights. The whole difficulty/frustration thing is highly overrated. Truly some of the best combat I've tried, having a fairly simple combat system at its core, which still manages to be fairly deep thanks to different weapons having very different move sets, enemies that require entirely different approaches, and where 2-3 hits kills almost anything except bosses (which goes for the player as well). Timing, learning enemy patterns (i.e. player skill) is just as important as stats, but it doesn't really require insane reflexes either, and you can outlevel stuff to get past difficult fights if you really need to. And finally, even when highly leveled, low level zombies can still easily kill you if you're reckless, so things never really get dull.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo