Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

49. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 10:08 WaltC

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 05:41:
The problem is that you can do that already. Build a pc/htpc, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, wireless controller, and still have a fully functional computer. Why use steamOS when its just going to take away options rather then add?

It's gratifying to see that most people in this thread know this and understand it pretty well. Still, there are a few outliers who cling to this notion that there's something "different" about "Steambox."

As you say, there's not. These are bog standard, off-the-shelf x86 Windows PCs in every respect *except* for the fact that Windows supports a ton more hardware and ten tons more third-party software than SteamOS. Boot up SteamOS and automatically time-travel backwards ~15 years ago, or so. Really, it's not fair to say even that at the moment because SteamOS is in such a buggy alpha state that it isn't fit for the bathroom, let alone the living room...;)

Of course Valve has announced a lot of "partners" for the Steambox--heh--all any of them has to do is slap a Steambox decal on configurations they already manufacture and there's your "Steambox." This whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt designed simply to market the Steamworks store, frankly. Sometimes I think Gabe's ego is even bigger than he is...;)

Folks who think all this presages some sort of "year of the desktop" for Linux in general are going to be disappointed, yet again. Seems like if you're a Linux enthusiast someone's always jerking your chain, eh?

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo