Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

41. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 06:20 jacobvandy

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:23:

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

Half-Life 2 was not the reason Steam took off. Counter-Strike 1.6 and later CS:Source had a bigger impact on early adoption than that, but all we did was bitch about the increased system resource usage and the fact that the friends list (only added feature Steam had to start with) was down 75% of the time. The only other digital distributor around at the time was Stardock, but they weren't creating a service that people were actually encouraged to use daily. That's where Steam stood alone, as a platform, not just a store. Valve then sealed the deal with Steamworks, allowing for the easy integration of said online service features including matchmaking and achievements that had the nifty side effect of making any game that used it require Steam. I remember BioShock being the first game I bought digitally aside from the Valve pack, and 650+ games later, I'm still waiting for HL3.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2014, 06:29.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo