Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

69. Re: Steam, Origin DDoSed? Jan 4, 2014, 06:31 Mashiki Amiketo

ViRGE wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 16:31:
]Very true. But it does mean they have resources. You can't take down something like Steam with a handful of computers on a residential connection. That requires a fairly large botnot.

So script kiddies or not, they (unfortunately) have power and the means to abuse it.
Last time I went looking around the underbelly of the internet(few years ago for a security project), I could buy 5k-15k machines in a botnet for a couple of hundred bucks. So, if you're dense as a post, have a couple of hundred bucks to throw around you too could DDoS something off, and if you're on the cheap you could steal/build/buy your own "build your own botkit" from the same underbelly and just wait a couple of weeks/months to have a functioning botnet of your very own.

This stuff isn't earth shattering by anymeans anymore, the price probably has gone up after they smashed that ring in eastern europe though.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo