Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2013, 05:40 Jerykk

There are two things in life that prevent most humans from killing eachother and taking what they want. Morality and the consequences if caught. In games, these things to out the window. Most people will do whatever they can get away with because of this. I'm sorry this simple concept is lost on you.

It's not lost to me at all. But as I've stated repeatedly, placing arbitrary consequences (like morality points) on specific actions completely goes against what DayZ is trying to do. DayZ is a sandbox survival game. It neither encourages nor discourages any specific actions. Instead, it leaves players to their own devices. These devices usually entail killing other players. Such is life.

As I've also mentioned numerous times before, adding a deeper crafting system to the game would provide players with more incentive to work together because it would provide them a common goal (like building a fort or outpost). The key here is motivation, not punishment. If players want to go around killing other players on sight, the game shouldn't punish them for it.

Imagine if you played an FPS that punished you for shooting. That would be fairly absurd, right? Because the whole point of an FPS is to shoot stuff. Similarly, the whole point of a survival sandbox is freedom. Freedom to help or harm as you see fit. Morality systems and other arbitrary punishments undermine this freedom by encouraging certain playstyles over others. If I told you that shooters would be better if they punished you for shooting and rewarded you for using diplomacy, would you agree? I wouldn't because that would completely change the core appeal of shooters. What you want out of DayZ (an open-world, co-op PvE experience) is not what DayZ is nor is it what people want from the survival sandbox genre.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo