Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

78. Re: Oculus Rift Raises Another $75M Dec 14, 2013, 00:44 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 12:48:
Wildone wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 10:32:
It already was delivering the low res head tracking and they have HD screens already, it was already amazing before so I cant even imagine the finished version. 100% immersion this thing is the BALLZ

This is one hardware application where 4K will truly make a difference.

And where pray tell do you find a GPU that runs any modern game at 100+ fps with dual views (needed for 2 eyes) on 4k resolution? Because that's what you need for the rift.

I dunno about you, but if anything the Rift will severely benefit from GPU evolution first and foremost. Currently there doesn't even exist hardware that could run a modern game at 2k resolution above 100fps with 2 views. Ie, actually you need to render 200fps.... If you display 2 viewpoints, the render cost is not negligible

And yes, I know the rift uses 1 screen = ie you render 2 views side-by-side in 1 window, but this does not change anything, the render cost is 2x as all the modern GPU shaders are camera position dependent. 2 camera positions = twice the render cost.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 2013, 00:55.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo