Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

95. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online in April Dec 12, 2013, 13:52 Orogogus

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:36:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 12:52:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 02:57:
I'd think "true" 3D would be holograms or something, or at least some kind of stereoscopy. Sprites vs. polygons seems like an arbitrary defining factor, textures even more so.

That is right up there with Grammar Nazi.

So is splitting the hairs between 3D world and 3D everything.

I carefully put the word "generally" there, as Meridian 59 is generally accepted as the first 3D MMORPG. Some here may not fall into the "generally," but that doesn't make them entirely right. See: Wikipedia.

Not splitting hairs. 3D games today have everything modeled in 3D. All the objects are truly 3D in that they have all sides. You can move the in game camera 360 around an object and it is all there. Sprites are just that, sprites. One image for front, one image for back. Meridian outdid Doom by having side sprites too, but nothing in that game was 3D. Even the world was 2D sprites.

Back in 1998 we were all excited when EQ was announced because it was using polygons like the cutting edge shooters. It was marketed everywhere as the first massively multiplayer online role playing game with a 3D world.

You came in and corrected me and then expect me not to explain my position or I am in the wrong? Please.

No, no, I came in and corrected you, not Beamer. But to me considering a game with sprites to not be true 3D seems arbitrary, grammar Nazi or not. Most 3D movies are based on a 2D source, while something like Toy Story is still a 2D movie whether or not everything is modeled.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo