Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

58. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Combat Voting Nov 23, 2013, 05:32 Krovven

Jerykk wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 05:05:
Also, why would combat even be a factor in you backing Torment? Combat was easily the worst part of PST and any changes they could make to it would be for the better.

Because I like real-time with pause gameplay and that's what I expected by this being a spiritual sequel to PT. I play some turn-based games (I've even backed Wasteland 2), but I get more enjoyment out of RPGs with real-time with pause. And if they implemented the combat exactly as it was in Planescape Torment I'm sure everyone would be unhappy as well. It can be improved upon and I certainly never would expect them to not improve upon it.

To reiterate...I hope they do both systems, or a mix of the two. People on the turn-based side keep touting "but Torment is a story driven game". That doesn't mean they can't have real-time with pause, or even that turn-based combat makes the story driven game better in any way. The Witcher is real-time with pause and the story certainly didn't suffer because of it.

Currently playing Expeditions Conquistador, which is very good. The turn-based combat I found difficult at first, until I understood all the rules and abilities. Now I'm in Mexico and combat is literally a no lose situation. They need to resort to outnumbering me 12 units to my 6 to even make it a challenge.

Basically all turn-based games I've found have to resort to AI cheating to increase the challenge because once a player knows how the rules work, they will beat the computer every time. You can see this in everything from Civ to XCom.

Side-note: Anyone from Firaxis reading this...Civ5 or even a port of Revolution on PS Vita please. Make it happen.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2013, 05:44.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo