Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2013, 05:52 Rigs

Wow, I should've popped into this thread a lot sooner! From what I've seen since before landfall and then after, some estimated reports have winds sustained as high as 205mph AT landfall (which, to me, seems too high to be possible) and others are in the 175-195mph range (which is much more reasonable, though not any less extraordinary). This doesn't account for higher gusts (some, again, have put them in the 230mph range, which is, of course, theoretically possible). The whole problem is that there was no way to accurately tell because there were no official data being collected before and during landfall (such as hurricane hunter aircraft, which aren't used in the West Pacific basin), everything had to be estimated based on satellite, radar and the occasional space-based microwave scan.

What I can't really understand is why there were so many fatalities (if the first casualty estimates turn out to be true - 10,000+). They had nearly a five days warning, the Philippine government was on the ball (for a change) and evacuated all the coastal towns in the projected path of the storm (which was surprisingly accurate) and had supplies and assets on alert to be deployed at a moments notice in multiple cities and municipalities. Yet, an estimated 10 thousand still perish? WTF? This isn't the first 'super' typhoon to hit them this year (there were three before, two in the last three weeks alone) and there have been 28 named storms this year total. This is a normal season for them. Except for the outright strength of the storm, nothing about this was new to them. They all were very aware and experienced, yet 10,000 estimated dead. I don't get it, I really don't...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo