Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: Steam Box Previews Nov 4, 2013, 15:08 ForgedReality

DangerDog wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:18:
Corsair Carbide Air 540, heck even my old Antec 280 case is chambered for the power supply and hard drives split from the motherboard / cpu / graphics card.
Maybe I read wrong, but it looks like the Steambox wants to separate everything so that it has its own separate airspace. The CPU and GPU generate a lot of heat, so it's a good idea to keep them separate at least. However, it can only get as cool as the surrounding air, so your comment about closing it up behind a glass door holds a lot of merit. I hope they're really up-front about how limited you'll be in terms of where you place the unit. I bet they'll need to plaster it with all kinds of disclaimers and stuff for the lesser technically-minded of us who are undoubtedly going to give this a shot.

SirKnight wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:56:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 14:09:
However, I've said it before: OpenGL just doesn't have the chops to compete with the likes of DirectX/Direct3D at this point. Hopefully this will bring the pressure required to finally bring OGL into the current gen.

That is so untrue it's not even funny. As a a graphics programmer of around 15 years now, I'm just baffled that someone could possibly think that with all the easy to find resources that's out there.
Yeah? I don't know about you, but I'll find it difficult to lose a majority of the DX11 and PhysX features by gaming on an OpenGL platform... Claiming that this won't be an issue is misguided at best.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo