Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

829. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 1, 2013, 11:07 Beamer

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 10:45:
He really isn't incorrect. Yes the poor in America have it better than the poor in almost every other country, but he was talking the income gap. Yes, the standard of living has improved for the poor, but at the same time the rich (who I have nothing against, believe me - hell I wish I was one of the "evil rich"! ) have seen their incomes and wealth skyrocket, meaning the gap remains equally as large.

"Evil rich" is a buzzword. I don't think the rich are evil. I don't think they are doing anything inherently wrong. They are doing everything they are legally allowed to do, and when you're up there, it's hard to see any moral objections. For one, you're surrounded by other super-rich, so your view is a bit warped. For another, everything you're doing is for the good of something, so you feel justified. I spent 3 weeks in Asia visiting factories in an effort to move some of my former company's US production offshore. We had a perfectly good business case for it. Our products would be cheaper, we'd be more competitive, etc. It's easy to see why this didn't bother a single person, other than the guy in charge of manufacturing who knew he'd have to lay off a third of his employees, but most people dismissed his complaints as him being irked he'd lose power in the company.

There was nothing evil about any of it. Reduce 100 American employees, pick up 300 Thai employees, move all that money out of the US? But it would help us keep our prices low! (In truth, we weren't even talking about dropping prices, just not worrying about having to raise them.)

And I am not talking about "making the poor rich," to directly quote Mad Max. Again, it's a strawman that I'm calling the rich evil (I'm calling the rules broken) and it's a strawman that I'm talking about making the poor rich (hell, I'm more talking about the middle class.) What I'm talking about is creating more incentives for more jobs in America.
Nothing else.
The more people with jobs, the more people that spend money.
The more people with better salaries, the more money they spend.
The more money people spend, the healthier the economy.
The healthier the economy, the more money we all make.

The single most important factor in how healthy an economy is isn't whether the government is in a deficit (has RollinThundr explained why this is his only concern yet? I didn't see it, I'll check his history), and it isn't total money earned, it's total money spent inside that economy. Having a few extremely rich people means less money spent than having many extremely rich people and a whole lot of middle class people.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo