Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

22. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 05:28 Quinn

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:08:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 20:37:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones. To me they're both just excuses to act or seem "mature" through sex, politics, and action sequences. For me, fantasy should be just that: fantasy. Give me a hero (and a sidekick or best friend), a villain (with appropriate minions), a love interest (with something to keep them apart), and a MacGuffin (with plenty of sidetracks). Obviously that doesn't have to be the sole or exact template, I'm just explaining the difference.

An example of a game fitting this would be FF2 (which has no sex, no convoluted politics, and no QTE's or asinine combat/crafting components) and of entertainment media, the Harry Potter series (same deal). Then again I guess if I want a "mature" fantasy RPG I need to randomly sleep with chicks, roll dice, fistfight, and dodge my way around enemies. Or perhaps I need gratuitous violence and sex, incest, rape, murder, etc.

Fact is, I can already get all of that in real life. I get enough of it as it is. Sometimes I just want to enjoy an RPG or fantasy where I actually have some attachment or connection with the protagonist...I'm sorry but Geralt does nothing for me. Quite frankly, The Witcher series to me feels like it harkens back to the action-style RPGs on consoles, which I have no problem with but to embrace games like that and then turn around and shun console players is hypocritical. Seriously, The Witcher 2 did not feel at home on a PC except for the graphics and the pointlessly complex crafting. Then again I could say the same for Dark Souls, which I also didn't care for, for similar reasons.

That being said I do appreciate CD Projekt's efforts with GOG and on DRM, even if their past with it is not spotless.

No idea how you got to the conclusion that Geralt's character fits that of console game characters. It's the complete other way around: the stereotypical template you described, that's console games/chars all the way.

Except for his whore-hoppin' attitude, I love Geralt. He's by far my favorite character. He's complex; chaotic good, sometimes shockingly stoic and other times remarkably empathetic. Yet, somehow it all makes sense.

I agree with you that the literal fucking around and fumb fistfights are unnecessary. In any other game -- like God of War an GTA (the sex) -- I know it's put in there to bring in the youth group that only just found out that shaking their cock feels good and are in their Compulsive Masturbation Disorder period. But in The Witcher's case I don't feel that way -- it really makes that disgusting world complete.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo