Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

17. Re: CD Projekt RED Reaffirms Anti-DRM Stance for The Witcher 3 Oct 31, 2013, 00:22 Suppa7

NewMaxx wrote on Oct 31, 2013, 00:08:
Cutter wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 20:37:
Nah, let's face it, the consenus is people either really like these games a lot or just find them really meh. I'm in the meh category.

Me too. I'm also in the "meh" category for Game of Thrones.

The reason the witcher is so meh is because it's totally a MODERN game, it has no gameplay to speak of and is just one giant movie. The witcher is a modern story based game, something closer quick time heavy games similar to heavy rain.

But to be honest many RPG's have always had movie wannabe's behind them. You can see this in early JRPG's even with Chrono trigger, final fantasy, etc. Modern game devs figured out they could remove the complicated combat systems and just sell a computer rendered movie to the brianless masses.

So I approach these games as I would a movie not as a game. Baldurs gate and torment both have the same problem where the gameplay is fully automated and there is heavy emphasis on story. Traditional D&D RPG's on the PC that actually had gameplay were the oldschool eye of the beholders, ultima's, lands of lore, etc.

I consider infinity engine based RPG's as the early road to movie based RPG's since the gameplay is basically removed from the player because it's all automated and casualized. There is really minimal participation beyond reading multiple choice diaologue and solving puzzles. This is especially true in torment.

Most game developers focus on what is easy and developing a fun rpg combat system is hard so they crater and just do easy shit like story and graphics.

That's the one thing I really hate about CD Projekt the developer makes the worst kind of mainstream game. They really don't get classic RPG combat gameplay and just go for modern movie based game.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2013, 01:01.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo