Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

24. Re: Steam Boasts 65 Million Accounts Oct 30, 2013, 17:30 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 15:41:
Yeah, but I think Keilun has the right of it. 30% is a huge leap year over year, that's literally millions of people joining. The addition of a bunch of free to play games over the past year is the only thing that could really explain that kind of explosion.

Given that Free to Play people are using Steam resources (Downloading, etc.) I wonder how Valve is offsetting that cost.

Valve gets a cut of the microtransactions in exchange for hosting and promoting the game (easily tracked when you have Steam-linked accounts such as in Path of Exile), and/or they sell the stuff as "DLC" for the game directly from the Steam store. Red 5, the developers of Firefall, have talked about it a lot because tons of people ask them why they aren't on Steam. Apparently they think they're better off without it.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo