Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 19, 2013, 01:09 Jerykk

The problem with Thief4 is not only what they've showed so far, but also the attitude of the developers.
Does it reflect from any of the interviews they've done that they actually care about the Thief mentality?
Sure it will most likely turn out a good game since it's an AAA production.
But the problem is that it's not going to be a Thief game.. since it's an AAA production and catered for the majority.
The majority weren't Thief players by todays standards, so they can't make it Thief.

If you make a new IP, go ahead I won't complain and people won't complain. I'm sure people might even say "woah, this game has a nice mix of Dishonored and Ass.Creed with a Thief vibe to it.."
But if you take the Thief name and then make the changes they've showed and write things like that people will be pissed.

I'm not sure what makes you think it won't be a Thief game. It's still a first-person stealth game that focuses on stealing stuff. You still hide in shadows and try to avoid making noise as you sneak past guards and grab loot from their belts. Will combat be more viable in the new game? Probably, but that doesn't mean you have to fight. The devs have explicitly stated that you don't have to kill anyone. If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. Same applies to the new Focus mode. Don't like it? Don't use it. Stealth games have always been a matter of restraint. If you enjoy being stealthy, why would you play any other way?

It's just remarkably silly that people can take little things and completely blow them out of proportion. Yes, you can shoot guards in the head with an arrow. Guess what? You could do that in the previous games too. No, you can't jump anymore but if the demo is any indication, there will be plenty of contextual opportunities to get where you want to go. Yes, there's a new voice actor but he sounds pretty similar to the original VA and Garrett's character seems consistent with the original as well. Yes, there will be setpieces but they will most likely comprise maybe 1% of the entire game. Yes, melee takedowns are now a one-button affair via third-person cinematic (ala DX:HR), but this is Thief so you shouldn't be attacking anyone in the first place.

None of the changes they've made are enough to accuse the game of not being a Thief game. It's nothing like the changes made between the original R6 and the Vegas series or between SC: Chaos Theory and Conviction.

It's just dumbass game design. I'm sure it's much easier to not have jumping in your game, but if said game is about a character traversing a level without being seen, then NOT having it is fucking retarded. End of story.

Splinter Cell says otherwise. As I mentioned before, Blacklist doesn't have manual jumping but there are enough contextual actions in each level that you never really miss it. It's all a matter of level design.

EDIT: This new gameplay footage actually shows that traversal has more in common with Assassin's Creed than Splinter Cell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiwa9-e10m8

Basically, you hold down a traversal button and Garrett will automatically climb, jump, mantle or vault over obstacles. It's still contextual but it seems pretty flexible and if AC is any indication, it works well enough for getting you where you want to go.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2013, 02:36.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo