Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

42. Re: Thief Dropping XP System Oct 18, 2013, 01:48 Jerykk

Fletch wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 18:28:
Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2013, 12:26:
I'm pretty sure the decision to remove jumping has nothing to do with consoles. Plenty of first-person console games have jumping. Hell, CoD, the epitome of consolitis, has jumping.

Nothing to do with consoles? Really? How many first-person PC games don't allow jumping? I think it was a combination of controller limitations, and the limited imaginations of designers making maps for millions of easily-confused console gamers. Hand-holding seems to be a pretty huge part of their design concept.

Rainbow Six? Ghost Recon? Two of the most hardcore PC games ever (before Vegas and Advanced Warfighter, that is) didn't have a jump button because jumping wasn't useful to the design of the game.

Being a PC game or console game has absolutely nothing to do with the inclusion of jumping. I'm not sure why Square removed jumping from the new Thief but one definite benefit (for them) is that it's much harder for players to break the game. You can no longer reach areas you aren't supposed to go, making life much easier for the level designers and artists. You have no idea how many collision bugs pop up when players can hop all over the place.

Make no mistake, I like jumping and emergent gameplay as much as anyone, but I'm not going to immediately dismiss a game simply because it doesn't have jumping. The Hitman games don't have jumping and they are great stealth games. The latest Splinter Cell game doesn't have jumping and it's very good. A stealth game without manual jumping is still perfectly viable.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo