Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

43. Re: Star Citizen Hits $21M; Video & Hangar Patch Released Oct 14, 2013, 23:39 SlimRam

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 20:58:
RavingArmy wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 19:37:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 14:13:
That Aurora looks sweet.

The thing about free traders I always wondered about though is this: When you play a military style space sim, it makes sense that your ship is tricked out with weaps and stuff since you're in the military. But for trading ships, that never made sense to me. It's not like people today outfit their DC9s or Learjets with 0.50 cal MGs and Stingers.

True, but midair piracy hasn't really been a practical criminal enterprise. It helps to think in nautical terms. Age of Sail freighters and other ships who were definitely not a man-of-war still carried armaments. They weren't as heavily armed as a ship of the line or even a frigate, but they had enough firepower to discourage smaller raiders who didn't have the means to fight it out or the sense to withdraw. Larger pirate crews, on the other hand, could take the losses and still make out pretty well on the deal.

Yeah, that's a good point. Hell, Captian Phillips is in theaters right now. If that ship had been armed, none of that would have happened.

I also thought about it a bit more and realized a wild west paradigm applied as well. Wagon trains were not military, but were always armed due to the dangers of the frontiers. I guess if your space environment is a frontier, then it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to be a space salvage guy, already got a slogan picked out: "SlimRam's Salvage: If The Part Looks Like It Came Off Your Ship, It Probably Did But, Your Still Paying Full Price" Nifty eh?

Uh, as far as piracy goes i'm going to try the 'Millennium Falcon' approach if possible. I'd like to be able to make a freighter that holds quite a bit, has enough firepower to keep little guys away, but is also DAMN FAST! I don't plan on sticking around when the shit gets hairy. If you remember, the Falcon had probably minimal shields, didn't look like much, but was VERY FAST and quite maneuverable for her size (she could almost out fly tie fighters).....Also i'll have to make some hidden cargo areas....for hiding myself if I get boarded *Cue the Darth Vader theme* DUM DUM DI DUM DUM DI DUM DUM DI DUM

I went to the 'Water and Ice' store near my house and I asked to see they're 'Secret Menu'.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo