Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Star Citizen Passes $21 Million Oct 9, 2013, 10:22 WaltC

NKD wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:23:
Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 01:06:
Slinkycatz wrote on Oct 8, 2013, 21:15:
Every day hundreds are signing up... it has been a slow uptick of the # of people signing up every day. It is not just the USA but all over the world.

I just don't believe that 2000 people are signing up every day for $77 a piece, and keep on doing this so day after day after week after week after month after month. Not when no other Kickstarter has gotten even anywhere near those numbers of people. Yet Roberts keeps adding a million dollars basically every week?

I'm pretty sure this is just investor money that they're pretending is crowdsourced.

I'm a Star Citizen backer, but I share your suspicions. I'm sorry, but crowd sourced titles like this follow a pretty consistent pattern with how the money comes in. You don't keep up steady and consistent gains over a long period of time.

If I had to guess, I'd say a certain amount of investor money was gained early on, and he's pretending that its rolling in slowly to keep the game in the press. Admittedly a bit of a tinfoil hat theory, but something is definitely fishy here.

Nah, the idea is a bit silly...;) "Keeping the game in the press" is not a major concern for companies that have crowd sourced the money they need. They are being funded by the crowd, in advance, to make the game--this market is already assured. There are much, much better ways of keeping the game in the press--such as releasing trailers weekly, that sort of thing. They aren't required to divulge how much money they've taken in from every source. If this was investor money they'd just take it and say nothing to the public because they have no obligation in that regard. And, if this was investor money, they surely wouldn't be taking on extra layers of work for themselves, and that's on top of the fact that if they say its crowd-source money and it isn't, and they default on a publicly announced goal they've reached with crowd sourcing--that's fraud. With all of the money they have successfully crowd sourced there'd be no reason to lie about investor money since they are under no obligation to reveal it to anyone.

Last I heard there are close to a billion people with daily Internet access. Even with half of that number, 2000 people is a drop in the bucket, a pail of water in the ocean, a raindrop in a cyclone, etc.

I've always believed there is a vast, pent-up demand for the kinds of games that the normal publishing houses won't fund. Many people are sick of the cookie-cutter games that keep pouring out of these traditional publishers--like war games, GTA, etc. There is a huge, untapped market out there that it is likely will only be addressed by crowd sourcing. But the next couple years will be critical for KickStarter and crowd sourcing in general. A lot of successfully funded games are coming due--and what happens if most of them are duds? Crowd sourcing could go as quickly as it came on the scene. I don't think that's going to happen--I think most will be wildly successful for the developers and that crowd sourcing will mature and stabilize. I hope that's what happens, anyway, because right now crowd sourcing seems the only way to get the kinds of games most of us want to buy.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo