Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

44. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 1, 2013, 13:25 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 08:53:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 01:44:

Nobody would ever say that though. Is there anybody who would argue that anonymity is only used for good?
You set up a strawman and made a point against it.

Anonymity is a very important aspect of discourse.
Just ask Silence Dogood... Actually, Richard Saunders... Er, Anthony Afterwit... I mean, Polly Baker... Benjamin Franklin.

I'm not going to support any attempts to curtail it. Anyone operating a forum for discussion can run it however they wish of course. Which leads me to the rest of your post which seemed to be more about censorship/banning which isn't really the same discussion. I'm very much against that as well but an operator can censor without removing anonymous/aliased posting.

Almost like taking a quote out of context and setting up your own point against it. I'm talking about curtailing hateful internet speech, trolling and other stupidity on private forums and websites. I notice a lot of it hides in offtopic religious and political rhetoric and that people will often register multiple places to spread it. I think anonymity allows them to do it more frequently and aggressively. As for censorship, we do it everywhere in society already, we're just less honest with ourselves about what we're doing.

What is your argument here, that government will use that against the people somehow? I hadn't really considered that but I'm not sure how it pertains to discourse on private websites. I understand the importance of anonymity in civil discourse between citizens and its government, particularly with how it pertains to voting but I think that's a slightly different topic and that the ship sailed on that with the advent of big identity farms like FB.

And who determines what's hateful? You? The rest of the liberal thought police?

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo