Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

92. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 26, 2013, 11:15 Verno

It's not really "aimed" at anyone, it's a lot of different things at the same time - it's a test balloon and a safe guard against platform stagnation. That's why it runs on a desktop, an HTPC, etc. It also gives them an avenue to gain new customers who would otherwise not buy a desktop or gaming PC unless it was prebuilt. Typical prebuilts from companies like Alienware are ridiculously priced. They are building a GUI on top of Linux, not just giving them Linux. It's to provide a console experience for one market while retaining the power and customization that appeals to another. There are few downsides to this other than compatibility. For the user who is happy with their setup they can safely ignore this if they want or choose to experiment at some point. Most enthusiasts I know are open to trying new things and anxious to learn so I think they'll do fine with the curiosity factor from many in their traditional customer base.

This isn't just for the living room either and you can do whatever you want with it. I am actually pretty excited to have a Windows alternative for the gamer, particularly with the technology market shifting so drastically. The streaming feature is there to take care of compatibility concerns I assume.

In terms of user friendliness that's all up to GUI design and implementation. People seem to forget the PS3 was built on a Linux core and the PS4 is built on top of FreeBSD.

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2013, 11:25.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo