Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

49. Re: Stardock Lawsuits Settled Sep 26, 2013, 00:28 draginol

Ah I remember. You did a great job on that. I still use IconDeveloper.

As for behaving in ways that some might consider unprofessional or inappropriate. Guilty as charged. After all, I'm here posting. But sexual harassment? No. Not even close. I got a 3 year education on the legal meaning of that. It wasn't even a close call, even if her allegations had been true.

We'd occasional show the lawyers a print out of someone claiming "open and shut case, man. Look at his email." And they'd laugh. The ignorance combined with certainty was just an amazing combination to see.

Sadly, The actual legal threshold for SH is ridiculous and should be changed. It's virtually impossible to win such cases even when you're dealing with what most people would consider a physical assault. That's because the actions have to be pervasive, ongoing, contrary to prevailing company culture and written complaints being repeatedly ignored.

Now, I don't know of any specific things I said or did that you thought were inappropriate. I'd genuinely be interested in knowing what you thought was inappropriate. But there is nothing I did that would constitute sexual harassment because that's a specific legal conclusion with specific requirements, none of which were met.

We have annual sexual harassment workshops that go over this in better detail of course. But the point is, if someone says something thst offends you you have the right to object to it and the right to expect your employer to respect your objection.

But remember, there is no objective standard on what is "appropriate" behavior. You don't have a legal right not to be offended. The behavior has to be documented, malicious with the intent to cause distress and also be pervasive and ongoing.

I have no problem with someone disliking me for my actual views. And that is, if I say or do something that offends you, let me know, specifically and I'll do my best to not upset you. Otherwise, yea, it's my house, my rules. Let the people who need fainting couches start their own companies and see how long they make it trying to be all things to all people. I've running a game company for 20 years, longer than anyone else in our industry. And it's a rewarding but constant challenge creating an environment thst people want to come work at every day.

Given how well you did as an intern, you must be an amazing developer now. You should stop by sometime!

This comment was edited on Sep 26, 2013, 00:34.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo