Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

107. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 24, 2013, 11:40 2nd_floor

So Valve is going to take on Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo for the living room. To my knowledge this is a big risk. Microsoft and Sony loose billions of dollars ($8 bn combined) keeping their consoles in the living room, and because they have huge other businesses/products, they can afford this. Valve is hoping to take customers away from Xbox, PS and Wii? All of the games already come out for Xbox and PS, except upcoming Valve games maybe). I think risky!

Valve is hoping Steam alone can compete with Xbox and PS, and Steam until today does not run games as an OS. Do they have anything else they can throw at Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? If they can get 10s and 10s of developers writing games for SteamOS/Linux, maybe they'll have something to go on. Today developers are pulling away from Windows even! The desktop for gaming is somewhat uncertain.

Maybe they will pull off what Google/Android did in the mobile market, but risky I think.

I would stick to the desktop maybe, and Linux on the desktop might do well. Is Valve hoping to turn desktop gamers into living room ones? Risky stuff I think.

No mention of whether SteamOS will be open source. All this talk of Linux and "openness", yet nothing as far as source code. If they make any changes to the kernel or any other GPL code, they will have to release source code if requested.

There is also Ouya, which is Android, and Android is pretty big today.

This comment was edited on Sep 24, 2013, 12:08.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo