Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

287. Re: Be nice... May 17, 2003, 19:13 Xombie

I mean it's just strange (and yes, a little irritating) to us id fanboys, because we're looking at a diamond, and you're telling us you see a turd.
Yes. I am. Because I have very high standards for game design, and even with the amount of press id have attempted to give out, they have not backed up any of their words.
I read all these interviews with Tim Willits giving his little spin about how the game's going to have some sort of revolutionary gameplay and interactivity, and then look at what media they've given out, and I do not see it. Less than a year away from release, and over a year after the game's official announcement, I have sincere doubts that it will magically show up. They're obviously already attempting to advertise the game, so why would they keep back the good parts? I'm especially skeptical of the game's supposed revolutionary content when id have a history of making gameplay that, by today's standards, is considered very shallow. No one still at id has ever been considered to be one of the greatest gameplay designers ever.
I would understand if all of you were only saying you were expecting simply a "fun" game, or a "scary" game, or a "game with a good engine". But many people here are touting the GAMEPLAY and STORY as strong points, two things which have not only been id's weak points, but have so far only been shown as below par. It sounds and looks like it will be: an on-rails shooter with the exact same super-cliche story as Doom 1.
I thought this before I saw any of Deus Ex: IW, and I thought this before I even though Half Life 2 was anything more than vaporware.
And the only actual defense I've gotten about my criticisms of id's game design is "you aren't allowed to judge it" or "we all expected it to be crappy from day 1".
And until someone comes for with something substantial to contradict my criticisms, that's all I have to say on the subject.

This comment was edited on May 17, 19:16.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo