Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2013, 13:14 WaltC

The last BSoD I had was years ago under Vista, I believe (now running Win8x64). I had a problem similar to yours--it was a real humdinger and a head-scratcher, too. BSoD's these days are almost always caused by hardware problems somewhere (software problems usually just dump you back to the desktop these days because post-XP Windows versions are very stable and can easily handle an application crash.)

What I discovered then was that sometimes the logs can be wrong--way off, even. Sometimes, depending on the particular hardware problem, OS diagnostics show where the OS detects the problem as opposed to where it actually is. Making a long story short, under Vista I kept getting a BSoD intermittently that kept telling me that the fault lay in my Catalyst driver--which should indicate a problem with my GPU somewhere--either in the driver or the gpu hardware. After much hair-pulling and exhaustive testing (drove me bananas), it turned out that I had two simultaneous hardware problems going on, neither of which involved the gpu or my gpu drivers:

1) Ram tests revealed that one of my DIMMs was bad. The only time that problem caused the BSoD was when a program or application happened to attempt to access that particular DIMM's memory space...Replaced the DIMM and the memory now passed the tests that it had been failing--but then--Bang!--another BSoD again implicating the gpu driver...

2) One of my hard drives was failing. That was the really weird one! As I said, the logs and the other diagnostic software was of little help to me. It was only by physically disconnecting my hard drives one-by-one that I isolated and solved *that* particular problem. After disconnecting a particular physical hard drive (I had 4 HD's installed at the time), the BSoD's vanished. Plugged the drive back in and the BSoD's intermittently came back--until I disconnected. After a week disconnected with no further BSoDs, I plugged it back in, and within an hour or two I got the same BSoD again. After replacing the drive I never had the BSoD problem again.

To sum up--two hardware problems were causing me intermittent BSoDs, and the problems were uncovered manually as opposed to by my OS diagnostic software--which never failed to incorrectly identify the problem. Hardware problems are like Dominoes, the source problem affects one component which affects another, and on and on until a system crash that generates a BSoD occurs. The automatic OS diagnostics pick up the last component to fail in the chain reaction, and the BSoD itself displays that software component as the culprit. But in my case the BSoD was wrong because the information revealed only the last software component to fail--my gpu driver--as the source of the problem. But it never was...;)

In these cases, unfortunately, only skilled manual component testing will allow you to isolate such hardware problems when they occur. But that's a big advantage in running a desktop PC--you *can* self-service your machine when you need to. With other devices and form factors if you open the case you void the warranty--and you become helpless before the whims of your particular manufacturer. And if you own a non-PC device (like a console) and it's out of warranty--cracking the case won't do you much good unless you can replace the faulty components inside with off-the-shelf equivalents--which will often not be the case. I guess this sums up the worst problem I've ever had with a desktop computer.

You'll eventually get this solved, I'm sure. And be the wiser for it, too!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo