Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2013, 17:59 Beamer

WaltC wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 12:29:
Zyrxil wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 11:40:
I don't know about those ratios, I remember COD:MW3 had something like 50 million development budget and 200 million marketing budget.

I seriously doubt you get a team of that many people building that much content for just 50 million bucks. I'd reckon in actual story missions alone, GTA is probably five to ten times bigger than CoD, and then you get the entire world which needs to be hand-built.

Many single-player games offer hundreds of hours of "content" and cost nowhere near even $50M, including marketing. I'm with the guy who thinks that if there is any reality to this figure at all (very doubtful) then 80%-90% of it is being spent on marketing. I'm also with the guy who thinks a company would be beyond foolish to spend this kind of money on development of a single game...;) Insane, maybe. A huge target for stockholder lawsuits, etc. It is likely not even close to being true, imo.

You're the guy that's wrong.
I really can't think of a better way to put it. Simply creating the world GTA5 takes place in costs millions upon millions of dollars. Someone needs to create the engine that can handle it. Someone needs to individually place every single polygon. Someone needs to individually draw every single texture. Someone needs to individually paint every single texture. Someone needs to get creative in using as few textures and polygons as possible without looking like it repeats. Someone needs to run around and make sure there are no missing textures, misaligned textures, clipping errors, invisible walls, etc.

This is before you even get to any actual game, which would require doing much of the same for cars, motion capturing people modeling people, editing the motion capture to look better in a game, creating the textures, painting the model, QA testing it, adding the physics, adding the controls, renting the studio, casting the actors, recording the actors, editing the recordings, timing the recordings, writing the script, etc.

GTA4 came out, what, in 2008? 5 years ago? GTA5 probably has a team of 250-400 people. Who have been working on this game for at least 4 years?

It's always so weird to me how many people love this industry and have strong opinions about it yet never got even slightly educated to how much it costs to create a very vast and graphically detailed open world game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo