Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

73. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 11:50 Tom

Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 07:54:
I'm sure there aren't many people spending this much, and of course it's none of my business really. Maybe their father is a Saudi prince. I'll consider spending $40 on the game pre-launch although I'll probably wait for launch. Anything more than that, no. I'm certainly not going to double my expenditure for the next few years to buy a virtual space ship that may or may not be any good in a game which may or may not be any good.

Whether or not the game is a success (in terms of being a good game, regardless of finances), I hope they're lawyered up. Delays and disappointments are inevitable and one of these days, a crowd-funded game is going to go wrong and many people will be braying for blood. Imagine spending $5k on a virtual space ship only for the developers to somehow go bust and the game never getting released.

You've completely missed the point of crowdfunding. You are part of a crowd that is funding the project. That's how your money is being used. You're not buying virtual spaceships, the game, or anything else. You're making an investment in their project. Like any investment, there is risk. By giving them money you accept that risk. If you don't do your due diligence, that's on you. You aren't entitled to anything should the developer go bust without releasing the game. It is not necessary for them to lawyer up. Those are the terms you agreed to by investing.

Now, if the whole thing turns out to be a sham, you might be successful in a lawsuit that accuses them of fraud. But if they make any kind of decent effort and it just doesn't pan out for whatever reasons, good luck with that.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo