Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

69. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 07:54 Iurand

Flatline wrote on Sep 7, 2013, 16:46:
WOOHOO I'm glad I was A) wrong (I love me some space sim) and B) glad my 60 bucks was well spent.

Yacht? Ferraris? Coke and hookers? Pepsi? Booze?

No, they got their booze for free. It must be Pepsi then.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 01:15:
You're being facetious I hope? A typical CoD release brings in around a billion dollars.

And we are 2 years from SC's release...

OldTimber wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 03:28:
So the next tier goal will be what 22 mil and they'll be begging for it by adding tablet or smartphone apps?

$5,000,000

Enhanced boarding options: melee combat, heavy weapons, zero gravity simulation, suit HUD options and EVA combat.
Increased ship customization.
Tablet companion application to check on your inventory, commission or find missions and get the galactic news feed.

BadIronTree wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 03:43:
[
so their target is 1-2 milion maybe 3

From Wargaming CEO:

"For free-to-play you do have to have critical mass. We have thought about releasing on Xbox One but let's let them release it and get their first ten million players online first. One million is not a good install base for a free-to-play game."

SC won't be strictly F2P like WoT, but CR many times mentioned, he want to duplicate their success and they'll still rely on microtransactions.

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 04:09:
Might all be doable as long as they keep staggering the releases of the modules. The planetary stuff can come after they get the space stuff finished.

Social module, which now looks like this, is scheduled to be released after dogfight alpha.

Lord Tea wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 04:53:
The more stretch goals involved (due to over-funding) the more things can go wrong. Quite a few over-funded projects on KS have collapsed. And Star Citizen is a great example of "waaaaaay over-funded". It's wise to spend the money on release day. Just my 5c.

Again, they're not adding anything major.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 07:24:
There isn't much I'd like more than to see Star Citizen implement FPS planetary combat but, as others have said, it strikes me as an incredibly ambitious goal. I appreciate that the CryEngine is built around FPS combat but it will still require a lot in terms of art assets, level design and gameplay design. How are they going to ensure there will be enough other players on the planet to make it interesting? I just don't want it to distract from the core mechanics.

Again, they already have FPS combat and walking on planets. All they need is allow 1 within 2.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo