Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

70. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 22:46 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Well, I don't think anyone other than Cutter is saying PA condones it, but I'd also wager there are more people walking around out there that have the lingering memories of being raped than there are that have the lingering memories of being brutally murdered by being fed into a woodchipper.

It gets back to the "triggering" argument that you seem to be misunderstanding.

When this original story broke one of the loudest women screaming teh "triggering" argument was a female developer who made hyper violent FPS war games. I will refrain from naming names for obvious reasons.

I politely pointed out that her own career was based on creating games that trigger PTSD in war veterans and she didn't seem to have a problem with that. I mean, PTSD is PTSD and triggering is triggering.

I forgot if it was her or her fans who called me a rapist waiting to happen (ie: I'd be a rapist if I thought I could get away with it).

I checked out of the argument mentally at that point.

Rape culture shit does exist, triggered PTSD does exist, the unnecessary slut-shaming and objectification of women do exist. Look at our fucking politicians who talk about "legitimate rape", transvaginal ultrasounds to shame women and shit that's trying to be *enforced by law*. That's the vile shit. This Penny Arcade thing? Tasteless (funny though I laughed at the MMO commentary) but ultimately bullshit amplified through two echo chambers.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo