Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

67. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 20:43 mag

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 17:58:
mag wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 16:03:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Caveat: As I said before, I don't think this comic was offensive, I did not see a problem with it, etc. etc. I am not in favor of censoring tasteless humor, and I think there are some good arguments that can be made in this vein.

But. I think the rape/murder argument is weak. The main problem with the analogy is that rape happens way more often than murder, disproportionately affects a marginalized group, is frequently not punished, and involves a lot of victim-blaming. If 1 in 5 men were murdered by their best bros who then got away with it (and with large numbers of people defending the bro-murders), then the non-fuss over Gabe/Tycho murders might make more sense.

Who defends rapists? I mean, who actually thinks out right rape is OK other than frat-boys with expensive lawyers?

Just as an example, there was that case in Ohio earlier this year. The world was full of "Boo-hoo-hoo the poor young athletes' lives were destroyed by outing and convicting them as rapists. The girl was asking for it!" Same shit happens all the time.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo