Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

10. Re: Humble Origin Bundle Raises Over $10M Sep 4, 2013, 12:55 Verno

I directed my money to Humble Bundle themselves. I'm rather suspicious of how charity funds actually allocate their money.

One of my ex's worked at a charitable organization (cancer related). I was shocked at the posh gatherings and other little dos they had on a regular basis though this was explained to me as a way to attract more money from high income earners. They were audited every year by the government as a requirement to maintain their charitable status so there probably wasn't anything serious going on but they had some borderline expenses and things like good salaries, employee benefits, etc. You don't get rich working at them but many people seem to do alright, her salary there was almost as good as mine and her work was a lot less stressful. I remember someone at a party once posed the "what if cancer gets cured overnight?" question to several of the employees and they looked really uncomfortable, as if they took it for granted this was going to be a career forever. I suppose everyone worries about job security and they could probably just pick another cause to get involved with.

That's not to say they didn't do good work though. I think it depends a lot on the organization, I've seen some not-for-profit and charities that can barely sustain themselves.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2013, 13:02.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo