Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 1, 2013, 01:30 ViRGE

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 16:28:
Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 14:57:
Or you could just not support Apple.

Pretty much this, I bought an iphone 3g way back when, was my first smart phone, and last apple product. Not that it was bad, but after a few ios updates it was a joke, atleast android phones dont turn to molasses if you want to upgrade to an allowable upgrade. I've built several hackintosh's for friends, although i never felt the need to flex osx, but its a easy money maker thats for sure.
The 3G was in something of an odd spot. It was the same ARM11 (ARMv6) + PVR MBX SoC from the original iPhone, melded to a new baseband. Consequently it was the last ARM11 iPhone; the 3GS and later were ARMv7 based (Cortex A8, A9, and then Swift). Computational baseline performance was much lower than the 3GS, only made worse by the lack of a pipelined FPU and other modern features, and a GPU that was OpenGL ES 1.x (no pixel shaders).

Basically the SoC was a year out of date when it launched, and being the last of its generation was badly outdated the moment the 3GS rolled out. There's not a hell of a lot Apple could have done about its performance; they would have needed to essentially keep it on iOS 3.x and not add anything else to it. Which given all the stuff Apple added in iOS 4, wouldn't have been reasonable in the long run.

The 3GS and 4 on the other hand have held up much better. Though the 256MB of RAM on the 3GS is something of a limiting factor these days, it didn't get outmoded nearly as quickly as the 3.

On a side note, the Android guys didn't fare much better either. Gingerbread ran even worse on ARMv6 SoCs, which is also why the cheap Chinese phones were so damn awful there for a while (worse than they are now).

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo