Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 15:21 NKD

Prez wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:35:
Dacron wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:27:
I'll support indie game makers when their product looks interesting. I don't support them so they can 'follow their dreams'.

That's my feeling too.It would seem that the idea for indie development is to hit that seweet spot where following your dreams = making what lots and lots of people are interested in.

It's very tough to try and come up with something that meets your design goals AND will have players. My project was originally something along the lines of a multiplayer-only real-time 4x. (I didn't want to waste CPU cycles on some AI that would have been shit anyway). I wanted it to be really deep with a lot of emergent gameplay so I started with very fundamental rules to the universe, some basic physics simulation, etc.

After a while I was so far down the rabbit hole of weird simulation-ish mechanics in my 4x that I realized the game was too complex to ever get anyone interested outside of a few super hardcore players. Scrapped that prototype before there was even any gameplay, just a galaxy with procedurally generated planets orbiting in real time.

The game I really want to make, no one will ever buy.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo